Can mouse buttons be mapped higher than physical count?

Lee P. nixml at yso.net
Thu Apr 12 03:56:02 PDT 2007

I'm having a problem with ButtonMapping that I hope someone can shed some
light on. (Using xorg 7.1.1)

I currently have three input devices, a PS/2 mouse (Mouse0 Corepointer), a
USB mouse (usbmouse) and a touchscreen (touchscreen).

Mouse0 has 3 physical buttons, what I'd like to do is map these higher (say
7,8,9) while leaving usbmouse unaffected. No matter what I try, this won't
work.

Using xmodmap, changes both mice. Using xinput doesn't appear to do anything.

If I do an xinput list, I see Mouse0, but if I try something like
xinput set-button-map Mouse0 4 5 6 1 2 3,

I get an error Unable to find device "Mouse0"

If I try and use ButtonMapping in xorg.conf, it will use the same
ButtonMapping for both mice, even though they both have separate
ButtonMappings.

If you are wondering why someone would want to do such a thing, this is for
my carpc, and Mouse0 is a trackball mouse I fabbed into my shifter.

I want to use the buttons on the shifter for application specific behavior,
so when I'm in my music player, I can scroll through the playlist, or
toggle through the front and rear cameras, etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
-Lee