Gnome application responses to screen size changes

Andrew McMillan andrew at mcmillan.net.nz
Thu Apr 12 03:37:26 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 13:11 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> Metacity should respond correctly to the screen changes; they are
> reported through the Xinerama extension.

For interesting values of "correctly"...

I have a laptop panel of 1400x1050 which I always use, and an external
panel of 1280x1024 which I use when I'm docked.

I run the following script (usually on resume), to reset things to
whatever is currently appropriate:

#!/bin/sh

CONNECTED="`xrandr | grep "VGA connected" `"

if [ "${CONNECTED}" = "" ]; then
  # Disable second monitor
  xrandr --output VGA --off
else
  # Enable second monitor
  xrandr --output VGA --auto --pos 1400x0 --right-of LVDS
fi

xscreensaver -no-splash </dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1 &

Whenever that VGA output gets enabled all of my gnome-panels seem to
want to mosey on over and check out all those new pixels, and I have to
drag them back to the laptop panel.

Any idea where that action happens?  Is it in Metacity, or the
gnome-panel, or somewhere else entirely?  Is there some sort of Voodoo I
can do to make it not so?

Also, note the "always restart xscreensaver but never kill it".  It
doesn't seem to take too kindly to the signal that it gets when the new
monitor is enabled (or disabled) and exits.  I must check if there's a
bug against xscreensaver for that behaviour...

Cheers,
					Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
       The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. -- Oscar Wilde