xf86CrtcDamageShadow ?

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Wed Apr 11 09:16:11 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 08:53 +0200, Thomas Hellström wrote:
> Eric Anholt wrote:

> >> This happens with an original non-rotated setup. Framebuffer (resizable)
> >> is 1024x768. When "xrandr -o 1" (90 degrees) is called, a rotated buffer
> >> (1024x768) is allocated using the crtc callbacks, and xf86CrtcDamageShadow
> >> calls DamageDamageRegion with a 768x1024 region, but the buffer
> >> intersection is only 768x768.
> >>
> >> I'm not sure whether the framebuffer should have been resized to 768x1024
> >> in this case, but since rotation is set up per output, I guess not.
> >>

> > Yeah, that bug should have been fixed yesterday -- we had a situation in
> > the classic randr path where we were theoretically scanning out an area
> > not part of the framebuffer, which should never happen.
> >
> OK, I'll update and check. Thanks.
> > That said, your Render hooks should have dealt with the silly requests
> > it got appropriately, by only rendering the 768x768 region (since the
> > source picture didn't have repeating turned on).
> >

> Yes, I suspected that. Is there a reason EXA is not performing composite
> area validation?
> If the responsibility is left to the driver hooks the validation code
> will be duplicated across
> drivers.

No, you don't need any validation code -- you have to be able to program
your hardware to source from pixels inside or outside the pixmap in the
way the protocol requires.  Think about having the normal no-repeat
setting, bilinear filtering, and trying to draw the full source image
rotated 45 degrees -- you can't trim away accesses outside of the source
pixmap because of the filtered edges.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com