*SUCCESS* with Modular Build - Awesome Display - Couple of Q's

david rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Apr 10 20:03:43 PDT 2007

> /etc/X11/xorg.conf is sort of hardcoded, override it with the -config
> option. (see man Xorg). otherwise look at the top-level configure.ac  file
> to change it.
> make sure your Section "files" has a ModulePath entry to /tmp/modular/
> lib/xorg/modules/{drivers|fonts|input} etc.
> remove all other module paths that point to other locations such as / usr.
> your driver is probably in /tmp/modular/lib/xorg/modules/drivers, if
> you're talking about the X driver.

I have found those drivers, but evidently the other piece of the puzzle I
need is the i915.ko driver from the kernel, so I now looks like I will be
obtaining or building a new kernel that just scares the stuff out of me. I
don't want to blow away a system that is tweaked to perfection (except for
the dri issue)

>>    (2) Second question, How do I make my newly built /tmp/modular
>> install my permanent install. Do I just recompile everthing with
>> build.sh --prefix=/usr or can I just move the pieces over to /usr??  I am
>> not that confortable with where all the pieces live to do it  that way,
>> but if that is how you do it, I'm up for learning how.
>
> you need to rebuild. just moving won't work.
>

> Cheers,
>   Peter

Thanks Peter, after wading my way though a new kernel install, I will
rebuild with --prefix=/usr

    These new LCDs can cause you to learn far more about Linux than you have
ever expected.........

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
510 Ochiltree Street