*SUCCESS* with Modular Build - Awesome Display - Couple of Q's

david rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Apr 10 18:47:01 PDT 2007

Thank you Xorg.

    Thank you to everyone that offered suggestions and help to get me
through the modular build process! I finally have a new beautiful 1680x1050
display of SuSE 10 shown on my new Acer AL2216W monitor. Though the road I
took to get the needed xf86-video-intel driver built was a long one, it gave
me great appreciation for all the hard work that has gone into Xorg, the git
repository and the build.sh script. It is truely an elegant collection of
code.

    I am currently running X with startx -- /tmp/modular/bin/Xorg. I have
two remaining issues:

    (1)  dri is not loading properly and I can't figure out why. The driver
appears to load fine:

(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        compiled for 7.1.99.2, module version = 1.0.0
        ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI

    However, dri then fails with a kernel module mismatch:

(EE) intel(0): [dri] I830DRIScreenInit failed because of a version mismatch.
[dri] i915 kernel module version is 1.1.0 but version 1.3 or greater is
needed.
[dri] Disabling DRI.
(II) intel(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) intel(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0xf9358000 at 0x4002c000

    It looks like startx is using the wrong/old kernel module. While X is
started with -- /tmp/modular/bin/Xorg, it is still reading the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf. I have modified the file to point to
/tmp/modular/lib/X11/fonts, but for some reason it is still pulling bits and
pieces from the original X install. So how do I tell X to start and use the
new i915 kernel module, more to the point, where is the new module I need to
load in the /tmp/modular tree???

    (2) Second question, How do I make my newly built /tmp/modular install
my permanent install. Do I just recompile everthing with
build.sh --prefix=/usr or can I just move the pieces over to /usr?? I am not
that confortable with where all the pieces live to do it that way, but if
that is how you do it, I'm up for learning how.

    As always, any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
510 Ochiltree Street