[RFC] App deprecation

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Mon Apr 9 06:09:49 PDT 2007

Daniel Stone wrote:
> Time to start shedding some of the apps no-one wants or uses, I think.
> Sing out if you feel like maintaining any of:
>   * ico
>   * oclock
>   * xbiff
>   * xcalc
>   * xclipboard
>   * xclock
>   * xconsole
>   * xdbedizzy
>   * xditview
>   * xedit
>   * xgc
>   * xkbevd
>   * xload
>   * xman
>   * xmessage
>   * xmh
>   * xmore
>   * xphelloworld
>   * xrx
>
> We're stretched as it is, and I don't think we need to pretend like
> we're maintaining a full application suite.  Some of these would be
> better off in other projects, maybe (xditview?).  Others I don't think
> we should keep pretending to maintain, but are probably too useful to
> get rid of (twm).

If no one else volunteers, I'll take maintainership of:

xbiff xcalc xclock xconsole xload xman and xmessage

There are still users who use those on a daily basis and it would be a
shame to drop them completely.

I'd also like to see xedit stay around, but I don't like its (lack of)
ergonomy nor its embedded lisp interpreter -- we have [X]Emacs for that.
--
Matthieu Herrb