fbcmap.c and XFree86Server

Brian Paul brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com
Mon Apr 2 16:50:07 PDT 2007

This is a proposal to split the xserver/fb/fbcmap.c file into two.

As it is now, there's a test for XFree86Server that controls how the
functions are compiled.  If XFree86Server is defined the functions are
compiled as wrappers for mi functions.  Otherwise, the functions are
compiled in a totally different way independent of mi.

This means that if fbcmap.c is compiled the wrong way, it probably won't
do what you want.  This has caused me grief with DMX on two occasions.

I think we're getting away from using the XFree86Server symbol, right?
If so, this is another step in that direction.

I'd like to move the later half of fbcmap.c, starting at line 589 into a
new fbcmap_mi.c file.  See fbcmap.c at
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=blob;h=9cf5bcbf5b1b5e8971dbcdae20a6cd041e53d75c;hb=e44f106ffc796c025abdfb66717c06db8b12b4e4;f=fb/fbcmap.c

Then, in the Makefile.am files that used -DXFree86Server and fbcmap.c
I'll get rid of the -DXFree86Server switch and use fbcmap_mi.c instead.

If there's no objections, I'll check in the changes in a day or so.

-Brian