Using anonymous git for faster updates...

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Fri Sep 29 06:16:39 PDT 2006

Note:
This mail is only interesting for those using the git+ssh repositories,
not for those who use anonymous git only.

Until git has included support for multiple project updates per ssh
connection, we have to live with pretty slow updates of our working
repositories.

However, most of the time the git repositories have to be accessed
read-only, which can be done by anonymous git. As the two repositories
are in fact one, there is no race condition (at least I didn't find one
upto now).

I have written a short script that replaces git+ssh by anonmous git for
the update process only, and changes that back immedeately after the
pull, so the repositories don't behave differently afterwards. It does
this for all projects under the current directory, and it also detects
CVS based repositorys and does an cvs update there. To my personal
experience, this is several times faster, and it reduces the load on
git.freedesktop.org (no ssh handling).

Try it out and tell me what you think. No warranties, as always :)

Cheers

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __