Two keyboards with different Layout

Dieter Ripp ripp at systecnet.com
Thu Sep 28 09:01:52 PDT 2006

We are using on our embedded device Linux 2.6.12 with the x-server 6.8.2.
This device has a fixed Matrix-keyboard and the user can add an additional language depended USB-keyboard.
Both keyboards can be used parallel on the x-server. So far so good.
But if we change the layout of the PC keyboard (for Example German PC keyboard map),
the keys on the matrix-keyboard are also changed. I tried serveral things in the xorg.conf files
with the InputDevice Section (see below). But without success.

My question is now. Can I support two keyboards with different Layout ?
Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dieter Ripp

part of xorg.conf

# Matrix keyboard
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Keyboard0"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "Dev Phys"      "it9000e/input0"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
#        Option          "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Keyboard1"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "de"
        Option          "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier   "Layout[all]"
  InputDevice  "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
  InputDevice  "Keyboard1" "ExtraKeyboard"
EndSection

The both input devices are found by
cat /proc/bus/input/devices

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046a Product=0001 Version=0908
N: Name="046a:0001"
P: Phys=usb-pxa27x-1/input0
H: Handlers=kbd
B: EV=120003
B: KEY=e080ffdf 1cfffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: LED=7

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=0001
N: Name="it9000e device driver"
P: Phys=it9000e/input0
H: Handlers=kbd
B: EV=3