Status of xgl?

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Sep 27 14:38:59 PDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 10:58:46PM +0200, Hanno Böck wrote:
> I noticed that xgl wasn't mentioned on the 7.2 plans. Is it still meant to be
> merged into xorg-server?

Branch nomination has already passed.  If the changes are non-invasive
(i.e. hw/xgl), then I assume it's okay.  If there are still deep changes
in the DIX, it'll be better for 7.3, where master is already open.
They'll also have to be pushed by the relevant Xgl people, who know the
changes in question ...

> Beside that, is there a reason why xorg-server is still one package? After the
> splitting, it would seem to be obvious to me to have an xorg-server,
> kdriver-server, xgl-server package etc. That would make merging obsolete and
> xgl could have it's own releases. But it'd probably need some more splitting
> to move out the redundant parts.

The DIX is still a bit fiddly.  There are quite a few DDX-dependent bits
that prevent a clean DIX/DDX split at the moment, as seen by the xgl
bits in fb/ and such.

Cheers,
Daniel