Poor performance

Alex alex323 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 17:11:59 PDT 2006

Hey everyone. I am having trouble with my box as far as overall
"slowness" is concerned. Operations in my web browser take much longer
than they should, what I type into text boxes takes a long time to show
up, etc. This problem is not seen in ttys. I feel that it could either
be X, the amount of memory I have in the computer, or that the graphics
card I have is crap. I feel that it might be the graphics card, but I am
posting here to get a second opinion.

I currently use an nVidia GeForce FX 5200 (128mb ram, dual head).
Currently I have two monitors plugged into it (one DVI, one VGA) both at
1280x1024 (24 depth). I am using the official nVidia graphics drivers
(1.0-8774) and am using Xinerama to accomplish all of this. All of this
is on a box with 512mb ram and no swap is enabled. Here is the memory
usage at peak:

Mem:        503         477        26       0         10          113
-/+ buffers/cache:      352        151

Thank you in advance for your support.

- Alex