Keysym additions.

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Sep 24 02:50:14 PDT 2006

Le dimanche 24 septembre 2006 à 01:57 +0100, Keith Packard a écrit :
> On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 10:45 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
> > However you should remember there is no 1-1 mapping between languages or
> > even locales and actual keyboard maps :
>
> The intended use is to identify keys enscribed with the relevant
> language code, not to identify keys that switch layouts or locales.
> Remember that keysyms are supposed to describe the physical enscription
> on the top of each key
>
> We're not talking about keyboard layouts or mapping, just the list of
> keysyms available to describe the appearance and (somewhat) the intended
> function of each key that is present.

Either way a child studying foreign languages won't need a key inscribed
with a specific locale but at most a specific langage. (I say at most
because one layout can be used for several european langages for example
and I don't see a child needing separate layouts or keys if he studies
italian and spanish)

Also if you paint a key with a specific language that'll mean the child
can not change language class without changing hardware, which is very
restricting for poor countries.

Besides, we do not have english caps symbol greek caps symbol but a caps
symbol everyone uses regardless of the rest of the layout.

So I'd much rather you followed the steps of ISO/IEC 9995-7:1994 and
defined a single switch layout symbol rather than multiplying it just
because you can in your particular OLPC context.

http://www.services.gouv.qc.ca/fr/publications/enligne/standard/ISO_9995-7.pdf

--
Nicolas Mailhot