RandR 1.2 for Xorg 7.2?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Sep 23 17:43:37 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 20:34 +0000, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:

> one feature I am always missing is autodetection of monitors like osx has.
> I mean, I regularly switch between two monitors and I always have to type
> xrandr -s 0  / xrandr -s 1 to get the right resolution. Wouldn't it be
> cool to be able detect 'hey it is that monitor again' and thus switch to
> the latest known working resolution avoiding to do this manually all the
> time ?

This just requires driver work; the extension supports async monitor
detection already. The intel driver has async monitor detection,
although it's based on polling at present, even on hardware which
supports an interrupt-driven scheme. I'll be fixing that up to use
interrupts and we should get nice auto-detection on at least Intel
hardware which supports it. Hooking up other drivers to also support
this should be fairly straightforward.

keith.packard at intel.com