Non-DDC monitor paramters for RandR

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Sep 23 08:32:01 PDT 2006

Le samedi 23 septembre 2006 à 14:59 +0100, Keith Packard a écrit :
> For environments which don't provide DDC information, the only current
> way to set modes is to define custom modes and send them to the X
> server. Would it make sense to instead provide monitor parameters and
> let the X server pick modes from the VESA standard modes that it has
> internally? We'd just send sync ranges like are present in the config
> file and EDID information?

BTW, as page six of this [1] manual shows, there are digital switches on
the market which not only intercept EDID, but are also able to send a
fake one to the computer (presumably so it does not disconnect an
output, believing there's nothing there).

Do 4:3 or 5:4 modes apply to a modern digital panel nowadays? Especially
if it's not computer but video-oriented ?

[1] http://www.gefen.com/pdf/4x4%20HDMI%20Matrix%20Manual.pdf

--
Nicolas Mailhot