Keysym additions.

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Fri Sep 22 11:24:41 PDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 10:24:11PM +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 03:12:51PM -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> > I'm referring to the (typically labeled blue) Fn key you find on
> > keyboards that let you synthesize other keys.  Rather than it being
> > entirely dead to the window system, we see no reason to not allow it to
> > be a fully fledged key and usable in other ways.
>
> Right, I'm aware of the Fn key.  But given that its behaviour is that of
> a modifier, it would presumably be best to find and steal a modifier
> before adding our own.  Bear in mind that this would be a special case
> for OLPC as no-one else that I'm aware of sends Fn; they all do it in
> hardware.

Forgive my X-keyboard-ignorance, but I'm actively using the Fn key in X
on my Thinkpad T42 as a regular key, not a wacky implicit modifier. It
generates keycode 227 here, which I have mapped to Multi_Key so I can
type <Fn> ' e in sequence and get é, for example.

I see that no other KeyPress events are generated while I'm holding down
Fn, but is this not related to what Jim wants?

--Jamey