Xdmx DDX: Add/remove screens + RENDER

James Supancic arrummzen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 01:02:20 PDT 2006

Xdmx DDX: Add/remove screens + RENDER

I would like to add add/remove screen support to the Xdmx DDX for
cases in which the RENDER extension is enabled.

I went ahead and modified the launch time sanity check to allow me to
launch with both RENDER and add/remove screens enabled. When I detach
a screen that has a client using RENDER on it, and
then attach the screen I get a number of:
(**) dmx: dmxErrorHandler: BadName
(**) dmx:                  Major opcode: 154 (RENDER)
(**) dmx:                  Minor opcode: 30 ()
(**) dmx:                  ResourceID:   0x220b24e
(**) dmx:                  Failed serial number:  327326
(**) dmx:                  Current serial number: 327657

I think it is talking about not being able to find things such as
pictures (Picture), glyphs (GlyphSet), etc.

The Xdmx server uses the DIX resource manager to keep track of the
mappings between the picture IDs it clients have and the picture IDs
on the backend servers.

I think what I must do is retrive the pictures from the backend prior
to disconnecting from it, then store the pictures on the Xdmx server
using the DIX resource manager, and then when re-attaching I must use
the resource manager to retrive all the pictures and restore them to
the backend server.

Question 1: How do I retrive a picture from the backend? The RENDER
extension doesn't appear to provide support for this. Do I have to use
another extension to copy the picture from the server back to the
client for storage?

Question 2: Is there a good tutorial available for the DIX resource
manager? It looks simple enough based on the interface I have seen,
but it would be nice to have a little more than a list of function
protypes and definitions...

Thank you for your time,
James Steven Supancic III