RandR 1.2 for Xorg 7.2?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Sep 20 20:30:06 PDT 2006

I've been busy the last couple of weeks finishing up the spec for RandR
1.2 and working on an implementation. It's 'working' now, in that the
new functionality has been seen to work on one laptop.

While the new extension internals are entirely different, they can work
with existing RandR-enabled drivers, although with reduced
functionality. Of course, it also works with existing RandR
applications.

So, the question is whether it makes sense to look at including this new
code in X.org 7.2. It's a sizable chunk of work:

But, it offers some fairly cool new features, including the ability to
dynamically turn on external monitors and place them in a mergefb
configuration.

Still remaining on the to-do list is a Xinerama implementation so that
existing multi-monitor/single-screen applications can see what is going
on without needing to adapt to this new extension. I should have that
working this evening; there are plenty of existing Xinerama
implementations to steal from.

Code for the four pieces is available in a suite of git repos:

git://people.freedesktop.org/~keithp/xserver	      - randr-1.2
git://people.freedesktop.org/~keithp/randrproto       - multi-monitor
git://people.freedesktop.org/~keithp/libXrandr        - randr-1.2
git://people.freedesktop.org/~keithp/xrandr           - randr-1.2

This last repo, xrandr, contains a temporary hacked-up xrandr that can
be used to manipulate the new features in the extension. Integrating
that into a single xrandr program seems desireable, if a bit tricky.

Take a look at the code and the specs and see what you think. It's
important to realize that new extension functionality can take a long
tiem to get to end-users; we have to depend on desktop developers to
carry the new features into their interfaces, so while it's important to
not screw up, it's also important to provide development platforms as
early as possible.

keith.packard at intel.com