Attempt at input event documentation

Ori Bernstein rand_chars at rogers.com
Tue Sep 19 22:18:55 PDT 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:48:57 +0200, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> said:

> Uhm.  Maybe create a ServerInternals page?  We can throw all kinds of
> server documentation in it, if maintainers of other components care to
> write it (hint hint).

Yes, please do!
This would make it much much easier to start doing stuff with X. I haven't
really submitted a report about Summer of Code (I suppose I should), but in my
experience, the lack of documentation about the internals of the X server is
the single largest barrier to actually developing code for X.

I know that I spent more time reading source to try figuring out how something
works than actually coding on Xscreen. And I still got enough wrong on to merit
a rewrite/copy-the-sane-code out. (Xscreen, thanks to the combination of a
heavy school workload and waiting for the XCB API to stablilize, is
temporarily stalled.. but I digress). I think a documentation page would be
amazing, even if it just points to other places for documentation (for example,
it's a huge pain to google the protocol documentation).