HDTV native resolution issue

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 07:53:54 PDT 2006

> > I just set up my new 32" LCD HDTV (Hyundai Q321).  It has a native
> > resolution of 1366x768, but I can't get my i810 onboard video to
> > output at that resolution.  If I specify:
> >
> > DefaultDepth 16
> >    SubSection "Display"
> >    Depth 16
> >    Modes "1366x768"
> > EndSubSection
> >
> > and startxfce4, the screen just goes black.  In a previous thread
> > here, someone thought the i810 had a set list of modes in BIOS, but
> > the conclusion was that it could set modelines itself.
>
> This requires the modesetting branch of the driver, see previous posts
> about that.
>
> You *might* be able to patch the BIOS (in RAM; not persistent across
> reboots) using the 915resolution tool. I don't know about the resolution
> you specify, though, that looks kinda wacky to me.

I thought that was the problem too until Alan Hourihane and Kevin
Whitwell told me in a recent thread that the i810 does native
modesetting and 915resolution will do nothing.

I'm stumped. 915resolution doesn't work with an unrecognized chipset
error, according to Alan and Kevin it's supposed to be that way, and I
can't set any kind of a custom resolution.

- Grant