Discussion about Compiz and working togeher

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Fri Sep 15 13:13:21 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 15:03 -0400, Shawn Starr wrote:
> I would like to get a better understanding as to why
> Quinn's patches have not been accepted into the compiz
> git tree.

I haven't seen a lot of patches being sent to neither me or the compiz
list. Some of the few patches I've seen have been temporary solutions or
ugly workarounds for problems that have more proper solutions. I'm
definitely willing to accept patches but I wont push in some ugly patch
just because it adds some additional functionality, I rather wait for
the proper solution.

> I feel Quinn's patches could greatly improve compiz.
> She has made quite a lot of progress wrt to enhancing
> compiz with her cgwd window decorator which allows
> users to write their own themes for window
> decorations.

cgwd seems great and all additional plugins are also great. I'm not sure
this stuff needs to be in the compiz repository but I'm willing to add
things if people wants that.

> Also, many of the plugins that are in compiz.net are
> MIT or GPL based and It would be great if you could
> merge them into compiz git.

I'll try to get around writing some better version handling in the next
couple of days, this will make it a lot easier to host plugins
separately.

> David, It would be great if compiz could become more
> open to development from outside in cooperation with
> yourself, plus it would be helpful if compiz could
> determine if it was in Xgl or AIGLX mode. I believe
> Quinn has some patches to allow for this.

I'll try to report more of what I'm working on and my plans to the list.
Others should do the same to make sure that what they're working is
something we can agree on being the proper way to move forward.

There shouldn't be a need for a xgl and aiglx mode. I'm sitting on a
patch which will make xgl support use of the overlay window, I just need
to verify that it's working before I push it upstream. If aiglx needs
the --strict-binding option then we should probably make that default
but other then that it should be working as it is.

-David