915resolution on an i810

Keith Whitwell keith at tungstengraphics.com
Thu Sep 14 03:07:10 PDT 2006

Grant wrote:
>> > I'm getting the following when trying to run '915resolution -l' with
>> > my i810 onboard video:
>> >
>> > system1 ~ # 915resolution -l
>> > Intel 800/900 Series VBIOS Hack : version 0.5.2
>> > Intel chipset detected.  However, 915resolution was unable to
>> > determine the chipset type.
>> > Chipset Id: 71248086
>> > Please report this problem to stomljen at yahoo.com
>> >
>> > Is there anything I can do?  Could 915resolution work anyway?
>>
>> The i810 uses direct/native modesetting already, and so i915resolution
>> won't do anything useful there.  Assuming you really do have an i810.
>>
>> Keith
>
> Are you sure?  I spent this morning in a conversation on this list
> about how the i810 has its modes defined in BIOS and 915resolution is
> necessary to define your own.

Yes I'm sure.

The confusion is probably because the drivers for later chipsets from
intel *do* use the bios for modesetting, and the code for those chipsets
is bundled into the same driver as the i810.  Hence my comment about you
really having an i810.

The i810 is a Pentium-3 chipset, ie from around 1999.  Is this the
hardware you have?  If so, you already have native modesetting, albeit
written without hw specs and based on reverse engineering the vga modes.

Keith