915resolution on an i810

Alan Hourihane alanh at fairlite.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 14 01:40:34 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 01:35 -0700, Grant wrote:
> > > I'm getting the following when trying to run '915resolution -l' with
> > > my i810 onboard video:
> > >
> > > system1 ~ # 915resolution -l
> > > Intel 800/900 Series VBIOS Hack : version 0.5.2
> > > Intel chipset detected.  However, 915resolution was unable to
> > > determine the chipset type.
> > > Chipset Id: 71248086
> > > Please report this problem to stomljen at yahoo.com
> > >
> > > Is there anything I can do?  Could 915resolution work anyway?
> >
> > The i810 uses direct/native modesetting already, and so i915resolution
> > won't do anything useful there.  Assuming you really do have an i810.
> >
> > Keith
>
> Are you sure?  I spent this morning in a conversation on this list
> about how the i810 has its modes defined in BIOS and 915resolution is
> necessary to define your own.

Grant,

Going back through the thread shows that Keith Packard jumped to the
wrong conclusion for your original question, and I just followed up on
Keith's response.

So, getting back to the real problem. You have a real i810 chip which is
the very old device which does program the video modes directly without
the BIOS.

Now, the driver has some code for interlaced modes, but I can also see
it's disabled and any modes that are defined as interlaced are returned
as BAD. Which is why the mode is actually being rejected.

It's probably worth you checking out the git repository for the driver
and see if you can remove the code in I810ValidMode() and get it to
work.

Alan.