Bring on the release wrangling

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Wed Sep 13 16:44:27 PDT 2006

Let's see if I can introduce a little controversy into the X.org 7.2
release process.

Can I nominate libX11's master branch, with XCB turned on by default,
for merge to stable and release with 7.2?

This work has been getting fairly widespread testing lately since it's
turned on by default on master. That testing has revealed some small
bugs, which we're working on and will surely have fixed soon, but
overall response has been pretty quiet: I think people haven't noticed
the change. That's good. :-)

As for more formal testing, the X Test Suite hasn't shown regressions
from stable Xlib for some time now. We'll recheck before 7.2 is
released, though.

I won't feel bad if people tell me to not try to get this work into 7.2,
but it obviously isn't going in unless it gets nominated now, and I
think it's ready.

On a related note, either XCB 1.0 will be released by the branch
selection date, or you can forget I said anything about releasing Xlib.

I think all the non-XCB commits that are on master but not on stable
look OK too, but somebody else probably should check that.

--Jamey