X to TV

Stuart Kreitman Stuart.Kreitman at Sun.COM
Wed Sep 13 08:01:21 PDT 2006

Grant wrote:

>> > Section "Monitor"
>> >        Identifier "monitor1"
>> >        Modeline "736x485i" 14.16 736 760 824 904 485 491 496 525
>> > interlace -hsync -vsync
>> > EndSection
>>
>> You can't set an explicit modeline with the BIOS-based i810 driver. Feel
>> free to try the 'modesetting' branch in the git repository to see if
>> that works for you.
>

> I didn't know the i810 driver was in the BIOS.  Is there a way to use
> one that isn't in the BIOS so I can use a Modeline?
>
> Alternately, can the above be written in non-Modeline form?  Any hints?

nope, what he's saying is that there's a table of modes in the vbios
which cannot be added to
("injected") in the old i810 driver.

The i915resolution program (comes under several names) can be used to
edit the vbios table.
This helps in laptop and other situations where some amount of mode info
is provided by the display,
yet the vbios is ignorant of it. You can see the info _almost_ working
in the Xorg.0.log file, then its ignored.

Your TV display may not provide sufficient info for this to work. Look
in your Xorg.0.log to see if 736x485
is mentioned at all.

Stuart