Finding needle in haystack..

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Mon Sep 11 23:01:24 PDT 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 00:10:23 -0400 Eamon Walsh <ewalsh at tycho.nsa.gov> babbled:

> On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 17:32 -0700, Thomson, David-P63356 wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > The reason I asked the question I did was that one way to trickle that
> > information through to the window manager was:
> >   window manager looks up XID of window
> >   from XID we someway lookup the socket in use on that window
> >   from the socket we lookup process id
> >   from process id we look at the command line arguments to find the file
>
> If you just want the command line arguments, try the WM_COMMAND
> property.  This property is supposed to contain the command line
> arguments that were used to run the program that owns the window.
> Unfortunately, I think it's deprecated.  On my system, xterm sets it but
> GIMP does not.  You might have to modify applications to set it.

gimp does - gtk apps changed how they do it - they set it on the client leader
window which doesnt get mapped/managed :) you can find it - but the wm command
wont help much in this case. he needs to map open fd's to file paths - slight
problem though is the app likely will open the file read it then close the file
handle - not keep it open, so u will miss the open fd :(