Finding needle in haystack..

Jay Cotton Jay.Cotton at Sun.COM
Mon Sep 11 17:09:45 PDT 2006

Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> Thomson, David-P63356 wrote:
>
>> Developers,
>>
>> Could someone please hear me out and shoot me a quick response, I find
>> these developer mailing lists are pretty segregated and people only
>> respond to posts that deal exclusively with the work they are doing.
>> Short story:  I am doing work for "No Such Agency" .  Our project would
>> like a nice clean way of getting the socket number associated with the
>> XID of a window.  Is there a function that returns this info?  If not
>> I'll be making such a function.  If I do, I'll be looking for where the
>> window id's/socket number correlation is stored/modified.
>

> The X server stores a file descriptor id for each client (not window) in
> a table internally, but those are not necessarily sockets, and don't have
> any meaning outside that process and the kernel's fd table for that
> process,
> so I'm not sure what you're looking for.  What are you referring to as
> a "socket number"?

There is a strong relationship between the FD and the client number (XID).
So, since you can track back to the client connection (Alans' Dtrace
code) you
should be able to trudge through the connection table and find the
socket number.
If there is one.  Remember that most clients don't have sockets since
they are
local to the server.