Intel 945GM and XvMC?

galenz at zinkconsulting.com galenz at zinkconsulting.com
Sun Sep 10 23:26:49 PDT 2006

On Sep 10, 2006, at 11:03 PM, Chad wrote:

> Evenin/Mornin!
>
> I can't seem to find any definitive information on whether XvMC (iDCT
> and MC hopefully) can be used on the 945GM chipset.  The i810 driver
> readme on the intellinuxgraphics.org website talks about it's use with
> the i810 chipset, but doesn't mention whether it can be used with
> other chipsets.  So, does anyone know if XvMC can be used on the 945GM
> chipset using the i810 driver?
>
> My goal, and hopefully this will help to answer the question:
>
> Display full 1080i HDTV resolution on a PC with an intel 945GM
> chipset, and a CPU that isn't powerful enough [alone] to display that
> resolution (Celeron M 1.5Ghz CPU).
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Chad

Chad,

I have the 915G / GMA 900 chipset. The XvMC option is a bit different
than with the older chips, but when XVideo is enabled using the i810
drivers, review the startup logs for X and you'll see XVideo and
XVideo Motion Compensation load up. As far as I know, the GMA 950 is
just a faster, better version of the GMA 900.

Based on my tests, using VLC and other video players with XVideo
output modules, the performance gain is very considerable. Not as
amazing as some MPEG-2 acceleration I've seen, but 20% CPU use
watching 720p on a Celeron D 3 GHz CPU isn't too shabby. I'm running
FC5, VLC 0.85 and everything as x86-64 binaries.

The setting under FC5 had to be changed in order to play HD, you will
have to set the CacheLines value - the default is too low, it causes
the players to segfault. 1100 works beautifully for 720p playback.

However, I'm currently struggling to get the 1080i working properly.
I have been experimenting with all sorts of things and it still
causes all the players to segfault and I'm not sure why. I've been
going back and fourth a bunch today in an earlier post regarding this
issue - look around the list a bit and you'll see it.

-Galen