Two num locks with external number pad

Sebastian Schubert sebastian-schubert at gmx.de
Sun Sep 10 18:22:27 PDT 2006

Hallo,

I have a laptop and an external number pad. Activating the num lock on
one devices actives it for the other. This is what I do not want
because the number pad of my laptop is included in the normal letter
part eg there is no k available with activated num lock. I got some
help:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-490498-highlight-.html
and here is my solution:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard1"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option "XkbModel"   "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout"  "de"
    Option "device" "/dev/input/event1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "OtherKeyboards"
    Driver "kbd"
#    Option "device" "/dev/input/event3"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier  "Simple Layout"

    Screen "Screen 1"

    InputDevice "OtherMice" "SendCoreEvents" "1"
    InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"  "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "OtherKeyboards" "SendCoreEvents" "0"
EndSection

It works (the device option has to be only for the real keyboard). There
are several problems, though:

* the caps lock and num lock lights in my laptop do not work now (not a
great deal)

* When changing from X to console and back again, the system gets
characters and mouse movement which I do not do. I have to press some
buttons and then it is normal again. This does not happen when I remove
the device part in xorg.conf.

* I cannot set the XkbVariant option. If I did, the keyboard does not
work.

In the end, I get the feeling that my configuration is rather a bug than
a feature, but I definitly need it.

Any idea?

Thank you
Sebastian