Fullscreen WITHOUT window decoration

Philip Pflästerer ppflaesterer at konplan.com
Fri Sep 8 02:40:38 PDT 2006

Russell Shaw wrote:
> Philip Pflästerer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i want to develop a fullscreen application by using the xlib functions.
>> Fullscreen means also NO window decoration. Normaly the window
>> decoration is provided by the window manager. To ignore the window
>> manager, i set the override_redirect flag to TRUE.
>>
>> XSetWindowAttributes setwinattr;
>> setwinattr.override_redirect = True;
>>
>> XChangeWindowAttributes(display, win, valuemask, &setwinattr);
>>
>> This works fine so far, i have total control over the size, position an
>> decoration (none) of the window. Unfortunatly, the window doesn't
>> disappear when i change the focus to another window (for example by
>> pressing ALT+TAB). It alway stays mapped on top, so I can't see the
>> other windows or even the desktop. If I unmap the window manually,
>> there's no way to get it back on screen because there's no entry in the
>> task-bar. I guess these features are controlled by the window manager I
>> set to be ignored with the code above.
>>
>> So my question is: How can I realize a fullscreen application WITHOUT
>> ignoring the window manager? If that's not possible, how can I solve the
>> problem described above?
>
> If you have a net-wm window manager, you could try setting
> _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN.

Hi,

could you please explain this a little bit? I'm using KDE, I dont't
know, if KDE has a net-wm window manager or not. Anyway, I'd like to
implement the application independant from the window-manager (if this
is possible). Isn't there a standard possibility to tell any window
manager to make the application fullscreen, without any decorations?

Greetings,
Philip Pfläseter