i810 with modesetting in combination with dualscreen/Xinerama?

Andreas Schildbach andreas at schildbach.de
Fri Oct 27 12:37:13 PDT 2006

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get the modesetting i810 driver to work on a
dualscreen/Xinerama setup. Unfortunately, X doesn't start (log and
xorg.conf attached).

But let me start from the beginning:

I am using a Dell Latitude X1 notebook with an i915GMS chipset. The
internal display has a native resolution of 1280 x 768. My external
monitor is a Dell 2405FPW with a native resolution of 1920 x 1200 @ 60
Hz, connected by an analog VGA connector. I've installed Ubuntu Edgy
final, which comes with X.org 7.1.

I followed those instructions, which got me a working internal display
at native resolution, mirrored to the external display:

I continued to experiment, in order to ascend to dualscreen:

Here is the part of the xorg.conf that I changed from the Ubuntu default
(full version attached). Unfortunately, X fails to start: "No modes
found on either pipe" (full log attached). Can anyone help me with this
problem? I'm particularly suspicious about the device sections. They
worked on X.org 7.0 on Ubuntu Dapper and X.org 6.9 on Ubuntu Breezy, but
I never understood them fully (I just tried around).

Best regards,

Andreas

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"device0"
	Driver		"i810"
	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
	Screen		0
	Option		"MonitorLayout"	"CRT,LFP"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"vgaout"
	Driver		"i810"
	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
	Screen		1
	Option		"MonitorLayout"	"CRT,LFP"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"generic"
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"dellx1"
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"local"
	Device		"device0"
	Monitor		"dellx1"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1280x768"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"external"
	Device		"vgaout"
	Monitor		"generic"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1920x1200 1600x1200 1280x1024 1024x768"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Default Layout"