startup question

Dave Henderson dhenderson at digital-pipe.com
Thu Oct 26 19:05:51 PDT 2006

Gang,

    I am working on a project that involves X11.  I am more comfortable at a bash prompt than a GUI so I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me.

My project is working with older hardware (667mhz cpu, 128mb RAM, 10gb hard drive).  I am trying to get X to load as fast as possible.  I currently have a base installation of Debian Sarge 3.1 installed with the x-window-system-core (4.3.0) package installed (X only, not window managers, apps, etc).  I ended up adding iceWM-lite as the window manager since it was a very light weight manager.

As I said above, I am trying to get X to load as fast as possible.  What components can I remove from the system to speed it up and what will be the result of removing those components.  I have done some searching on the internet but didn't have much luck.  Probably because I didn't know what in particular to look for.  Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave