Intel 965G memory allocation woes

Andrew Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 15:11:42 PDT 2006

Whoever you are please provide an e-mail address when mailing a list...

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 17:26 -0400, an unknown sender wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to get X.org 7.1 running on a new Intel 965G board.  I've
> yet to get X to start at all - it only allocates <8M of video memory,
> and I can't seem to get it to allocate more.  I tried looking at the
> video options in the BIOS setup, but none of those options can be set to
> less than 128MB, so I don't think that's it.  The "VideoRAM" option in
> xorg.conf does not appear to have any effect at all.

[snip]

> (II) LoadModule: "GLcore"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so
> dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so: undefined symbol: _glapi_Dispatch
> (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so

This is bad. Where did you get your Xorg and Mesa binaries? Are they
self-compiled, distro, or third-party packages? However, that's not your
problem. This is:

> (II) I810(0): detected 7676 kB stolen memory.
> (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such device)
> (WW) I810(0): /dev/agpgart is either not available, or no memory is available
> for allocation.  Using pre-allocated memory only.

You need an updated agpgart. See www.intellinuxgraphics.org for tarballs
of the kernel AGP code that recognize 965G PCI IDs.

HTH,
Andrew