Bi-Endian issue

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Thu Nov 30 01:31:35 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 09:42 +0100, Laurent Lagrange wrote:

> As I said earlier I can not patch and recompile the whole server.
> Nevertheless, I can modify the modules. My driver relies on
> fbdevhw and fb modules. Would it be possible to patch a module
> and build a new one specific to my graphics card ?
>
> In xc/programs/Xserver/include/servermd.h, there are two defines
> IMAGE_BYTE_ORDER and BITMAP_BIT_ORDER. They are set to MSB for
> my powerpc. In xc/programs/Xserver/fb/fbbits.c, those defines
> are used. If I patch the fb module, is it enough to solve my
> problem ?

It may be possible to solve this problem by patching just the fb module,
but I suspect it's not quite as simple as changing these defines. But do
let us know what happens when you change them. :)

If that's not enough, the wfb module from current xserver git might be
helpful, or maybe Keith Packard or someone else more knowledgeable than
me about fb and friends can point you in the right direction.