Building Xorg 7.1 from tarballs

Andrew Haninger ahaning at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 17:15:41 PST 2006

On 11/29/06, R.L. Horn <lists at eastcheap.org> wrote:
> I'd be inclined to wipe any binary distribution entirely and
> install clean...
>From my experience building X.org 7.0 without X.org, XFree86, or Mesa
installed previously, I don't think this would work (unless something
has been fixed in X.org 7.1.

When I've tried to build X.org 7.0 on a fresh machine, it dies
complaining that it needs Mesa installed. When I've tried to build
Mesa, it dies complaining that it needs X installed. One "solution" I
found was to start the X.org 7.0 build, let it die, install it anyway,
build Mesa successfully, install it, and then rebuild X.org 7.0. This
seems completely rediculous to me.

Am I wrong that some X headers and/or libraries are required to build
Mesa and thus to build X.org? Is this a problem that has been fixed in
X.org 7.1?

Thanks.

Andy