Building Xorg 7.1 from tarballs

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 07:37:58 PST 2006

On 11/29/06, EJBoshinski <mistrz.linux at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>     In following the steps on X.org Modular Developers Guide to build the
> entire X11R7.1 release, several errors are encountered that cause the
> compilation to fail.
>
>     1).  Mesa needs to be 6.5.1 due to header files not existing in 6.4.2
>     2).  Moving to 6.5.1 fails because another header dependency does not
> exist.  Perusing the archives, one finds that the offending header file
> ./Mesa-6.5.1/src/mesa/shaderr/slang/library/slang_version_syn.h
> needs to be renamed or sym linked to slang_pp_version_syn.h
>     3).  Finally, when one makes it to the building of
> ./xserver/xorg-server-X11R7.1-1.1.0/GL/mesa/main, it fails with :

If you just want to build stable Xorg-7.1 and not mangle around with
the source, just use Mesa-6.5 instead of Mesa-6.5.1. The Xserver glx
module unfortunately needs to be synchronized with Mesa, and Mesa-6.5
was the newest available release when Xorg-7.1 was came out. This
should probably be in the release notes or something.

I think it's OK to have your system Mesa (libGL) be 6.5.1 but have the
Xserver (glx) build against Mesa-6.5.

--
Dan