Proposed changes to the xorg archive

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Nov 28 01:48:33 PST 2006

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for doing this.

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 01:03:29AM -0500, Kevin E Martin wrote:
> Since the X11R7.0 release, several people have asked for some changes to
> how our archive is organized.  The main complaints were:
>
> - Not everyone uses the branded packages from the various releases
>   (i.e., the packages with the release version in the package name), and
>   with the large number of packages, it is not easy to directly download
>   or even find the unbranded packages.

I guess this might reflect a general apathy towards branded packages; is
there really much point in having two very, very subtly different
versions of every package?

> - For the minor releases, it is also not possible to tell if a package
>   had been deprecated.

We could have a 'deprecated-since-x.y.txt' in the x.y+1 directory.

> - The absolute symlinks made mirroring the archive difficult.

Or impossible: we can't even 'mirror' it across a bind mount to our
own FTP.

>    archive/X11R7.1/src/update/app     \
>                   /src/update/data     \
>                   /src/update/doc       \
>                   /src/update/driver     \
>                   /src/update/font        >  Official branded files that
>                   /src/update/lib        /   have been updated and are
>                   /src/update/proto     /    included in this minor
>                   /src/update/util     /     release
>                   /src/update/xserver /

I really like the src/update, and src/, idea.

> Also, since I have put quite a bit of time and thought into the archive
> organization and feel strongly that it should be actively maintained, I
> would like to volunteer to be the archive maintainer.
>
> If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.  If I don't
> hear any loud complaints, I'll go ahead and update the official archive
> in the next few days and take over maintenance of the archive.

Looks good, thanks a lot.  I don't think you'll find much competition
for archive maintainer, please go ahead.

Cheers,
Daniel