autorepeat keyPress only

Marcelo Magno T. Sales marcelo.sales at sefaz.pe.gov.br
Thu Nov 23 04:22:42 PST 2006

Hi,

Em Quinta 23 Novembro 2006 05:10, Gideon escreveu:
> Okay I got what you mean, but it is a function for the application.  In
> fact I want to modify the Xserver to do that.  I'm not sure about the
> design architecture but is that possible? If it's possible which file
> should I look into?
>
> Gideon Tsang
>
> Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at sun.com> wrote: Gideon wrote:
> > //Hi all,
> >
> > I'm new to Xorg and I found the codes are quite hard to follow.
> > Any suggestions to address the problem would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > I figured the Xserver will filter the keyPress event from the keypad
> > until a keyRelease is received, but I want it to repeat keyPress only
> > as in the following:
> >
> > keyPress/keyPress/keyPress/......../keyRelease
> >
> > I am using version X11R6.8.2 so I couldn't find the function
> >  ///XkbSetDetectableAutoRepeat or codes follow ///XPeekEvent regarding
> > to this post:
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2006-June/015820.html
>
> XkbSetDetectableAutoRepeat is what you need, and it's been in libX11
> since X11R6.4, so look again.

Taking a ride on this subject, I have an ATI remote control (USB) and when I
press some of its keys several keypress events are generated at once, even if
I press the buttons as quick as I can. If I quickly press and release
the "mute" button, for example, the mixer state changes at least 5 times,
making it very difficult to set it to the state I want. However, when I press
the "mute" key on the keyboard, only one keypress event is generated, as
expected.
Is there a way to configure this behavior?

Thanks,

Marcelo