Xorg 7.2 RC2

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Wed Nov 22 07:05:00 PST 2006

On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 09:15:36PM +0200, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 01:33:29PM -0500, Todd Kover wrote:
> > I also noticed that ftp was disfunctional (unresolvable symlinks in the
> > chroot'd environment, I think), which left a really nasty invocation of
> > wget to download all the bz2 files.  I can't help but wonder if there's
> > a better way I'm just not aware of.
>
> Yeah, absolute symlinks considered harmful.

This isn't the only problem with the archive.  I've been working on a
script to clean up the archive in my spare time over the past several
weeks, and I expect to be able to finish it while I'm away on holiday
this week.  I think that 95% of what needs to be done is scriptable
(that last 5% is why the script isn't completed yet).

What I've written so far addresses most of the concerns that have been
brought up on this list or to me personally including the absolute
symlinks, being able to download a complete set of tarballs from the
update and rc releases, being able to easily download either or both the
branded and unbranded tarballs from an official release, etc.

When I have it ready to go, I'll post more info but the gist of what I'd
like to say is that I feel maintenance of the archive is very important
and I'd like to volunteer to be the archive maintainer.

Thanks,
Kevin