RandR 1.2 output properties and options

Jaymz Julian jaymz at artificial-stupidity.net
Tue Nov 21 14:16:11 PST 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 07:03:21PM +0100, Matthias Hopf wrote:
> On Nov 21, 06 08:56:54 +1100, Jaymz Julian wrote:
> > True for resolution.  But what they _should_ be able to do, is switch
> > _refres rates_ on the fly, ideally.  Also, possibly switch between
> > progressive and non-progressive, although there is an argument that
> > interlacing is better done in software anyhow.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^ deinterlacing?

No, as in actually displaying 50/60 fields rather than 25/30 deinterlaced
frames - something much more useful if you're outputting a non-progressive
source to a TV style device

> Not necessarily. If connected by an analog VGA cable, the PLL has to
> sync to the pixel clock again, which will need at least one frame. Add
> another for frame rate detection, and there goes on-the-fly-switching.

Well, if your movie is changing its framerate regularly enough that this
is a problem, I would suspect that you have much bigger problems :)

	-j

Jaymz Julian - Coder, Visionary, Fat Ass.
"Hannibal is a serial killer. He only likes to kill and eat people.
 Very few people have `I want to be killed and eaten' on their cards,
 so Hannibal is out of a job." - http://cards.sf.net