some q's (everything & build & keyboard) [was: Re: Xorg 7.2 RC2]

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 13:47:20 PST 2006

On 11/21/06, Sergey Udaltsov <sergey.udaltsov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Dan,
>
> > First and foremost, it's difficult to find out about xkbdesc if you
> > don't already know about it.
> I agree. The name xkbdesc is just a CVS module, this is
> (pre)historical name and I would appreciate if anyone moves the stuff
> to xkeyboard-config module.
>
> > nice if the project could be moved to git with the rest of the X
> > modules, but that's a separate story.
> As I answered yesterday on IRC, I do not see any benefit from moving
> the project into git (except for hassle for me:). So far,
> xkeyboard-config is quite ok (I think) with centralized repository
> model. At the end of the day, the only person who actually commits
> stuff is me - taking patches from bugzilla.
>
> What would be reasonable is moving xlibs/xkbdesc into top-level
> xkeyboard-config, keeping it in CVS. That's my humble opinion.
>
> But sure if you can convince me that moving to git gives the project
> any serious advantages - I am open to discussion...

No, that's perfectly adequate. You're the developer and you get to
choose the scm. But moving to a standalone xkeyboard-config project
root would be great. Regardless, it would be nice if the wiki page
mentioned the historical xkbdesc name for any confused users (and for
the sake of search engines).

Thanks, Sergey.

--
Dan