RandR 1.2 output properties and options

Jaymz Julian jaymz at artificial-stupidity.net
Mon Nov 20 13:56:54 PST 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 03:14:36PM +0100, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 15:08 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > A plastic  disc (ie DVD) can contain several chained short sequences all
> > using different resolutions and scales (typically : logo tunnel at the
> > start of a film). In an ideal world media players should be capable of
> > switching modes accordingly on the fly
>
> Err .. no, because the time needed by CRTs to resync is long (way more
> than one second). The media player should instead scale the video (using
> Xv or something like that) accordingly.

True for resolution.  But what they _should_ be able to do, is switch
_refres rates_ on the fly, ideally.  Also, possibly switch between
progressive and non-progressive, although there is an argument that
interlacing is better done in software anyhow.

	--j

Jaymz Julian - Coder, Visionary, Fat Ass.
"Hannibal is a serial killer. He only likes to kill and eat people.
 Very few people have `I want to be killed and eaten' on their cards,
 so Hannibal is out of a job." - http://cards.sf.net