gzip'd files

Jonathan Adamczewski jadamcze at utas.edu.au
Sun Nov 19 18:54:54 PST 2006

Bill Cunningham wrote:
>    Has anyone noticed? I try to download some of the X components and
> the .gz files I download as tar.tar. That isn't going to work.

How are you downloading the files?  It may be a problem with the
application you're using (I have experienced this type of thing in the
past), or it could be a server MIME type problem (I suppose).

The files are probably still .tar.gz (you can check with 'file').
Rename them back to .tar.gz and they should work as expected.

j.