some q's (everything & build & keyboard) [was: Re: Xorg 7.2 RC2]

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 12:24:29 PST 2006

On 11/19/06, Jens Stroebel <dr-xorg at bcsoft.de> wrote:

> I noticed that while in git-builds, xkdata seems to be
> no longer up-to-date and xkbdesc/xkeybord-config is needed
> for our german keyboard to do what we want,
> in the http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/development/X11R7.2-RC2/
> directory, xkbdata is still part of the release and
>         build-from-tarballs.sh
> still builds/installs it...
>
> Has anyone experienced similar problems regarding
> behaviour of the keyboard? Are xkbdata/xkbdesc needed both,
> or if not so, which one?
> Is there another problem regarding xorgcfg, apart from xkbdata/xkbdesc?

I've read here multiple times the xkbdesc is the way to go. You
probably want to pass a couple switches to configure to get it to do
the right thing.

--with-xkb-rules-symlink=xorg: This will help get things working out
of the box with Xorg. Otherwise, you'd have to specify XkbRules "base"
in xorg.conf.

--with-xkb-base: Make sure that you're putting the xkb data the same
place that the xserver expects it to be, which is ${datadir}/X11/xkb.
The default in xkeyboard-config is ${prefix}/lib/X11/xkb.

--
Dan