xdm: very long pause after login

dark_mail at gmx.net dark_mail at gmx.net
Sun Nov 19 07:30:01 PST 2006

As of today xdm stops working after I have logged in.

When using windowmaker, there is a very, very long pause before it
actually starts. Xfce seems not to start at all, but maybe it needs even
longer to start up. During this time, only the mouse cursor is
displayed. CPU load is around zero, there is only a short burst of disk
activity, and the log files don't show anything strange.

When i log on using the commandline I can start Xfce without any
problems using "startx" or "startxfce4", everything except gkrellm2
works fine (that might be due to runlevel).

Gdm runs like a charm.

I can't recall having changed anything between yesterday (when it
worked) and today regarding X.

I'm using Xfce 4.2 on a Gentoo system, xdm is 1.0.5.

It's not the missing sessreg issue, I had that already, and
XSTATICVT="yes" is set in /etc/conf.d/xdm.

Does anyone have a clue what went wrong?