Problem with Trident Cyberblade XP graphics card

Kowal kowalski at smp.if.uj.edu.pl
Fri Nov 17 03:57:53 PST 2006

Hi. I've got a Toshiba Tecra 8200 laptop with Trident Cyberblade XP
graphic controler and Xorg version 7.1.1. I'm using trident driver but I
doesn't work well enough. It's slow and doesn't support hardware
acceleration. What is more I can't use my tv-out with it - the screen I
get looks like it was out of sync. TV works only under text console. I
googled through dozens of pages and found some alternative trident
drivers, but every one of them causes XServer crash at start.
I tried to solve this problem the other way and use frame buffer and fbdev
driver for X, but the cyblafb driver does nothing more that print:
  cyblafb: CyblaFB version 0.62 initializing
I doesn't create /dev/fb0 file,  cat /proc/fb show empty file. No error
message :(
Do you have any clues how to solve this ? I spend many hours trying to
figure that out and almost lost hope.

Thank you in advance.
Marek Kowalski