Radeon 9250 screen always shifted right initially with TMDS monitor

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 07:43:19 PST 2006

I've been having an issue ever since I got an LCD monitor. When X
initially starts, the screen is always shifted to the right by about 1
cm on a 19" monitor. I don't notice anything interesting in
Xorg.0.log. Switching to a VT and back or using the button on the
monitor that attempts to switch to the analog port reliably gets the
screen realigned when it comes back.

If I'm using gdm and log out from a session, the entire screen gets
redrawn and sometimes it is misaligned. But always when X is first
started is it misaligned. Otherwise, I haven't run into any problems.
This was also not a problem when I was using my old 17" CRT.

Hardware is Radeon 9250 (9200 from lspci). This is on a PIII 500 system.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon
9200 PRO] (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Hightech Information System Ltd. Unknown device 2020
        Flags: bus master, fast Back2Back, 66MHz, medium devsel,
latency 66, IRQ 11
        Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        I/O ports at 9000 [size=256]
        Memory at e0100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at e0120000 [disabled] [size=128K]

Software:
xorg-server-1.1.1
Mesa-6.5.1
xf86-video-ati-6.6.3

I'm attaching the log and configuration.

Thanks.

--
Dan