xorg-server 1.2.99.0 segfaults on keypress (releated to XkbCopyKeymap stuff) (with backtrace)

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Nov 14 04:45:50 PST 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 01:24:41PM +0100, krics at linuxforum.hu wrote:
> I got similar problem on my system with xorg-server 1.2.99.0 . I
> figured out that you need a full debug enabled gdb backtrace. I made
> one :)
>
> You can find it here: http://frugalware.org/~krix/misc/gdb_xorg.log
>
> Just a notice for that: there is a line:
> 1101	xkbUtils.c: Nincs ilyen fájl vagy könyvtár.
> 	in xkbUtils.c
>
> ^^ Sorry it is in Hungarian :) That means: No such file or directory.
>
> As i see you need which line and which file got segfault. GDB shows that.
>
> (gdb) #0  0x00000000005b7da1 in XkbCopyKeymap (src=0x8de3e0,
> dst=0x8d7cd0,    sendNotifies=1) at xkbUtils.c:1101

Fantastic!  Thanks.

I think:
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=commitdiff;h=389275d240e4ba19d62fda0f138a45c7ecb245ff
should fix your problem, I committed this a few days ago, and it seems
to have been pretty solid.  Should probably push a new release out
pretty soon.

> btw i forgot about the main problem. Whats happens which cause
> segfaults. So simple. Just starting X (with X binary itself) and
> pressing any of keys. (mouse ok) If i press one key (nevermind which)
> then Xorg got segfault and drops this backtrace for me.
>
> I hope this will be usefull and you can try to figure out whats broken
> or what not :)

Yep, it's all due to copying the keymap.

> Questions are welcome, i can do other tests/debugs, i got X debug
> version on now. :)

Thanks very much; I think should all be fixed with that commit though.

Cheers,
Daniel