GLX compatible pixelformats

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Mon Nov 13 13:00:08 PST 2006

Hi,

For some time I have been rewriting Wine's Opengl32 layer. Right now I'm
fixing our pbuffer code and because of that I have a question about GLX
pixelformats.

First a little Wine background. Windows programs use GDI  in combination with
a display driver for rendering. Wine contains a X11 driver for rendering. Due
to various limitations of Wiine's X11 driver we are limited to a single X
Visual. This visual is created at 'startup' and is GLX compatible (we try to
find a RGBA format with double buffering, 8bit alpha, 8bit stencil ).

For most OpenGL programs this single pixel format isn't a very big limitation
as on Windows programs aren't guaranteed to get what they want anyway. If
they ask a 32bit format they can in theory get a 8bit format back, so it is
normal to verify what you got.

The problem lies in pbuffers in which case the pixel format requirements are a
bit more strict. The functions which programmers use are similar to
glXGetFBConfigs and friends which searches for formats which meet you
requirements. In general programs expect to get atleast one format back.

Our issue is that we want to advertise as much 'compatible' pixelformats as
possible (also for things like multisampling and more). I wrote a small test
app which created a pixmap/pbuffer and checked for each format if it was
compatible with the format of the GLX Context (I created a context which met
the same requirements as I mentioned for Wine)

I got about a dozen of 'compatible' formats with similar R/G/B/A, depth and
perhaps other things in common. I tried the same program (both using a
direct/indirect rendering context) on the radeon dri drivers (rv250) and
using the fglrx drivers. Further users of different cards tried it too.
In case of pixmaps it found at most one compatible format and the pbuffers
test failed (most drivers don't support pbuffers).

Based on my nvidia tests I expected to find a few compatible formats. Are
there some heuristics which I can use for finding compatible formats (without
testing)? What's the best way on how to do this? What's the definition of
compatible? (the specs are vague)

Regards,
Roderick Colenbrander