DRI: libGL warning: driver not supporting visuals

Manuel Barros Reyes manuca at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 20:00:27 PST 2006

Hi, my problem is that I installed an old 3DFx Voodoo 3 card in my
linux box and the following error comes up when I try 'glxinfo' or
'glxgears' (or anything related to opengl I guess).

manu at Jaco:~$ glxgears
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x25
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x26
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x29

I found a thread from 2 years ago describing exactly whats happening
here but without any solution.
[http://people.freedesktop.org/~pasc/xorg/msg04490.html].

glxinfo reports that direct rendering is enabled. When I try glxgears
my CPU usage climbs to 100% and the window stays completely black.
After I force the app. to quit with ctrl-c and I load again any of the
these (both glxinfo or glxgears) they print the message above and hang
themselves once again using 100% of my CPU.

I discovered that loading glxgears without a window manager (in my
case Icewm) makes it work, although  I only see parts of the gears
moving and I cant' resize the window. Once I load icewm and retry it
doesn't work anymore.

I compiled and installed  libglide3 from CVS
and I have X.Org version: 7.1.1 and Mesa 6.5.1 from the Debian
Unstable repositories.

I'm attaching my xorg.log which I believe will be useful, if you need
more details please ask. (The last line says "DRIUnlock called when
not locked" I don't think that is normal).

Thanks in advance, Manuel.