xkb keycodes for evdev

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Fri Nov 10 09:23:40 PST 2006

I tried to use the evdev driver for my keyboard (because I have two
keyboards, a 'normal' keyboard and a USB input device that acts as a
keyboard: belkin nostromo speedpad n52), and I stumbled upon this little
problem: The 'Windows' key (also called 'Super' in beryl-settings)
didn't work, so I looked at /usr/share/X11/xkb/keycodes/evdev and after
I uncommented
    <SUPR> =   127; // <U7F>
and the key now works. Strange is that the key really is LWIN/RWIN and
not SUPR, eg. pressing the key generates this:
   state 0x40, keycode 133 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L)
keycode 133 is assigned to LWIN in the above mentioned file, and the
keycode/keysym is the same no matter whether <SUPR> is defined or not.

tom